La Tahzan La Tahzan La tahzan

Life is a university for us. Let's strive for all-round success. Hidup ini tarbiyah untuk kita. Ayuh usaha untuk kejayaan dunia dan akhirat.

Childhood Memories  

Sunday, January 24, 2010

I miss my cat. In fact, I miss all the cats that I'd usually meet when I walk home from the bus stop.

I miss my childhood even more. It's been a long time since I actually stood by my window and look outside, like properly look outside. I saw people playing basketball, and there was this little boy who was shooting his own light ball. So cute and so brave haha. Quite a number of friends, at their age, would run away from a ball in the air, especially one as heavy as a basketball.

There's many things that happened in my childhood that shaped me into who I am...

Because of my mum's encouragement to read at such a young age, I love to read. Eventhough I used to hate thick books, I learn to like them now. My mum too taught me to give my best in everything. My parents expect nothing less than the best, and that's what I gave. My mum used to be scared that I can't speak out/speak proper English, and she would teach and teach and teach me. In my mind I would never forget this image of my mum and I lying on the master bed reading the ABC poster my mum pasted on the wall during kindergarten days, and I felt so bad for mixing up 'star' and 'book' during the exam that I remember it till now. Nevertheless I got first in class (though I wanted to be second cos the prize for second in class was nicer LOL). She taught me arts too (and so eventhough I am much inclined towards the sciences now, I can do abit of art as well). She taught me to draw and colour and use water to make the colours run into each other, and I can't forget the time I caused a hole in my drawing paper for kindergarten art exam because I used too much water/rubbed too hard with my finger. She entered me in drawing/colouring competitions at Toys R Us Marine Parade, and I remember once that my mum said, "I think you didn't won cause you gave the wrong phone number" haha. In primary school, she taught me to build a lorry with a cage at the back housing a tiger using tissue boxes, used toilet rolls and such, and entered me in an art competition, which I won first and made my form teacher really proud (my lorry got displayed in the glass cupboard!) And she'd even help me decorate my art portfolio using onion and ladyfinger and such dipped in paint, and draw a parrot on my English journal (now I remember where I picked up the habit of recording my thoughts haha!)

Then I used to follow my second brother around alot. We would go to different libraries around Singapore, Bedok, Pasir Ris, Marine Parade, Choa Chu Kang, Woodlands... And he was the one who taught me abit of Mandarin (and I picked the rest up by watching dramas on Channel 8). I remember following him to Bedok Reservoir to play badminton with his friend, and once we decided to go walk to East Coast from there, though we gave up halfway probably cause I was too tired. I remember following him to his friend's house in Tampines, and that's where I learned to play carrom and tite (yes at the age of 8!) and got a cigarette mark on my forehead (no I didn't smoke, and I would never find myself smoking la, blergh). My brother and I, with our cousins ever went out in the middle of the night to explore Pasir Ris and look for playgrounds. And when we once slept over at our grandma's place, we went out at night to play badminton and go to the playground. And when we first moved to Tampines, my brother and I went around Tampines to look for playgrounds naming them along the way, as we brought along my mum's tape recorder and we pretended to be newscasters (my mum found the casette awhile back, it was SUPER DUPER cute and funny!) So, it's not a wonder that my sense of direction is pretty good (I seem to form maps in my mind once I get familiar to a place)

Looking back at all these makes me smile :) I miss my childhood...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster