La Tahzan La Tahzan La tahzan

Life is a university for us. Let's strive for all-round success. Hidup ini tarbiyah untuk kita. Ayuh usaha untuk kejayaan dunia dan akhirat.

Sleep Paralysis  

Sunday, November 25, 2007

I'm having a mild headache now, and it's not really cause of the pile of work I have waiting for me to do...

About 15-20 mins before this I left the computer to take a rest in my room. As usual, I don't feel myself falling asleep. I'm the last person on earth to have insomnia or any kind of difficulty to fall asleep (other than during first night or first few nights of camps), seriously I can't go without sleep.

The thing was I felt myself waking up, but I can't move. The room is as it was before
I slept, lights off with lights streaming from the living room through my open door. And I could even hear the song from my comp. Maybe it's a dream and the song is just stuck in my head. I THINK and HOPE it was only a dream. I did wake up in a different position from my 'so-called dream'. But it was so weird lah!

I was aware of my surroundings but I can't move or talk. I forced myself to. Baca ayat kursi but halfway couldn't continue and so I started to azan as loudly as possible in my mind. Halfway through I regained consciousness. During the temporary partial consciousness, I felt couldn't even sit up. Force force, rasanya tengah buat a sit-up after hundreds of sit-up or something. Punyalah susah! Legs and arms can't move. I can only move my fingers and ankle. My bed have wooden sides and i was trying to knock on them but all I could do was tap it with my fingers. The thing was, I was aware my mum was outside and if only I could shout or knock loudly my mum would hear and help me. In the 'dream', I felt so tired, can feel my eyes open but threatening to close every second and I was so afraid if I submit to my tiredness I would never wake up again or go into unconsciousness or something. So, was it a dream or not?

But as I said earlier, when I woke up I was in a slightly different position. During the 'dream', while struggling my head was turned and I nearly slip off my bed with my legs almost hitting the floor but when I woke up I was lying flat facing the ceiling with my legs straight and arms across my head. Maybe ni lah agaknya kenapa orang cakap jangan tidur facing upwards. But I feel asleep instantly as soon as my head the bed. I don't think I was lying flat. I remember snuggling my face close to the bed. Which side tak ingat...

Weird seh... Maybe it's a dream, maybe it's well... something... Like Jun's story... Or maybe it's a case of sleep paralysis. Once I got out of bed before blogging about this, I searched for that. Let's see what I found:

Sleep paralysis is a condition characterized by temporary paralysis of the body shortly after waking up (known as hypnopompic paralysis) or, less often, shortly before falling asleep (known as hypnagogic paralysis).[1]

Physiologically, it is closely related to the paralysis that occurs as a natural part of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, which is known as REM atonia. Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the bodily paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully aware, but unable to move. In addition, the state may be accompanied by hypnagogic hallucinations.

More often than not, sleep paralysis is believed by the person affected by it to be no more than a dream.[citation needed] This explains many dream recountings which describe the person lying frozen and unable to move. The hallucinatory element to sleep paralysis makes it even more likely that someone will interpret the experience as a dream, since completely fanciful, or dream-like, objects may appear in the room alongside one's normal vision. Some scientists have proposed this condition as a theory for alien abductions and ghostly encounters.

Sleep paralysis occurs during REM sleep, thus preventing the body from manifesting movements made in the subject's dreams. Very little is known about the physiology of sleep paralysis. However, some have suggested that it may be linked to post-synaptic inhibition of motor neurons in the pons region of the brain. In particular, low levels of melatonin may stop the depolarization current in the nerves, which prevents the stimulation of the muscles, to prevent the body from enacting the dreamt activity (e.g. preventing a sleeper from flailing his legs when dreaming about running).

Several studies have concluded that many or most people will experience sleep paralysis at least once or twice in their lives.

Many people who commonly enter sleep paralysis also suffer from narcolepsy. In African-Americans, panic disorder co-occurs with sleep paralysis more frequently than in Caucasians[2]. Some reports read that various factors increase the likelihood of both paralysis and hallucinations. These include: [3]

* Sleeping in an upwards supine position
* Irregular sleeping schedules; naps, sleeping in, sleep deprivation
* Increased stress
* Sudden environmental/lifestyle changes
* A lucid dream that immediately precedes the episode. Also conscious induction of sleep paralysis is a common technique to enter a state of lucid dreams, also known as WILD[1] .
* Artificial sleeping aids, ADD medications and/or antihistamines
* Recent use of hallucinogenic drugs

Hypnagogia (also spelled hypnogogia) describes vivid dreamlike auditory, visual, or tactile sensations, which are often accompanied by sleep paralysis and experienced when falling asleep or waking up.

The hypnagogic experience occurs between being awake and asleep, while the hypnopompic experience occurs as one is waking up; both experiences occur within the time period between sleep and waking (or vice versa). Experienced qualities vary, and include fear, awareness of a "presence," chest or back pressure, and an inability to breathe (hence the folkloric notion of mara-like creatures tormenting sleepers), a falling sensation or a feeling of tripping, but sometimes also joy.

During the hypnagogic state, an individual may appear to be fully awake, but has brain waves indicating that the individual is technically sleeping. Also, the individual may be completely aware of their state, which enables lucid dreamers to enter the dream state consciously directly from the waking state (see wake-initiated lucid dream technique).

The hypnagogic state is sometimes proposed as an explanation of experiences such as alien abduction, apparitions, or visions.

Seramlah seh... Tapi bila baca part "proposed as an explanation of experiences such as alien abduction" kekek la pulak. Imagine the part if I submit to my tiredness and then wake up in an alien spaceship with aliens surrounding me trying to do experiments on me to find out about humans. Then I'll be featured in the alien's news the next morning with: "Weird Finding abt Humans" turn to page bla bla for more details. Big big L-O-L.

Okok, but this 'dream' or 'sleep paralysis' or whatever right... It's not the first time. But it is the first time in such a looooooong time. The last few times I got it was in my parent's room when I shared their bedroom, sleeping on a mattress beside their bed. It always happen in the dark and during the 'dream' I'll be struggling not to fall asleep and to try and move and shout and when I wake up I'll be lying flat on my bed/mattress facing up. Like... WoooooKaaaaaY

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster