La Tahzan La Tahzan La tahzan

Life is a university for us. Let's strive for all-round success. Hidup ini tarbiyah untuk kita. Ayuh usaha untuk kejayaan dunia dan akhirat.

The Witch's Boy by Michael Gruber  

Thursday, November 13, 2008

The book that I was reading during lunch and on the way back, that fell when I got hit, that I continued at hospital, that I continued on the car ride back and that I finished last night instead of resting haha. (Couldn't rest initially 'cause was scared I wouldn't wake up, and because of the sting. But it's so nice to sleep hehe. Glad I didn't dream of the accident, I think. And I slept on my arm, and when I woke up there was like no pain. want sleep somemore later hehe)

Anyway, this is the book talking about filial piety, about true love, about how hatred and greed destroys the heart, soul and body and many more amongst the fantasy twists of the tale. As much as it is ridiculous, about witches, about friendly bears, about cats turning to man, about man being able to swim through earth like a faery tale, it is as true as the lives some of us go through.

Who says Muslims can't read what some people term 'non-Islamic' books, especially fantasy ones? I'm not giving hukum here of course, who am I seh... Belajar agama pon part time je. But in my opinion, it is not wrong AS LONG AS you know what's right and what's wrong, and you hold strongly to your faith and your principles and don't let it sway with what you read, and you take the positive values you can learn from it!

And the book shouldn't distract you from your routines as a Muslim, requires self-discipline and which I rather lack. Once I put my face into a book, I can read it back to back till it's finished and sacrifice sleep and food. Books bring me to a different world and I get so absorbed in it, I dunno what happens around me. I ever read till I missed Buona Vista station and not just once I pulled myself away from the book in time at Commonwealth ish ish.

Back to the book.. It's interesting how the author fits faery tales, as they call it, inside. Little Red Riding Hood, Cinderella, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, Jack & the Beanstalk, Goldilock's and the Three Bears, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and the Seven dwarves and Rumpelstiltskin. But they're mostly twisted. It's a different tale from what we heard off. For one, it all shows that humans are bad creatures, which is sometimes true in reality!

Two 'messages' I gathered, which I didn't expect, is what the book says about greed, the failure to feel satisfied with what one has and about protecting your name. The greed one is more obvious, but the hidden part is how the author fits it nicely into the story on how when you've seen love, you want more love, when you've seen wealth, you want more wealth and when you've seen true beauty, you'll go to all means to see something like it again. And about the concept of protecting your name is totally different from how a Muslim view it la. But what do lit people call it? Can't really remember the terms... Metaphor is it? Haha I dunno.

I'm loving lit again! Taking my own time and embracing the concepts in my own style. Hehe, makes me feel like opening my lit books again, but maybe later... Haha. I've got my SIP logbook and MP workbook to fill in! Which would take more than a day I'm sure! Okaes, I've fulfilled my promises here, now I shall do what I'm supposed to do!

Last note: Iqra'! Iqra' bismirabbikallazikhalaq! Read! Read in the name of your Lord who has created!

Al-Alaq (The Clot)

1. Read! In the Name of your Lord, Who has created (all that exists),

2. Has created man from a clot (a piece of thick coagulated blood).

3. Read! And your Lord is the Most Generous,

4. Who has taught (the writing) by the pen [the first person to write was Prophet Idrees (Enoch)],

5. Has taught man that which he knew not.

6. Nay! Verily, man does transgress all bounds (in disbelief and evil deed, etc.).

7. Because he considers himself self-sufficient.

8. Surely! Unto your Lord is the return.

9. Have you (O Muhammad ()) seen him (i.e. Ab� Jahl) who prevents,

10. A slave (Muhammad ()) when he prays?

11. Tell me, if he (Muhammad ()) is on the guidance (of All�h)?

12. Or enjoins piety?

13. Tell me if he (the disbeliever, Ab� Jahl) denies (the truth, i.e. this Qur'�n), and turns away?

14. Knows he not that All�h does see (what he does)?

15. Nay! If he (Ab� Jahl) ceases not, We will catch him by the forelock,

16. A lying, sinful forelock!

17. Then, let him call upon his council (of helpers),

18. We will call the guards of Hell (to deal with him)!

19. Nay! (O Muhammad ())! Do not obey him (Ab� Jahl). Fall prostrate and draw near to All�h!

From the holy Qur'an as translated in http://www.dar-us-salam.com/TheNobleQuran/surah96.html.

Oh, just another note to add o to that last sentence:

Ayats (verses) Requiring Sajda-e-Tilawat

1. Surah Al A'Raf (7) Ayat 206
2. Surah Al Ra'd (13) Ayat 15
3. Surah Al Nahl (16) Ayat 50
4. Surah Bani Israil (17) Ayat 109
5. Surah Maryum (19) Ayat 58
6. Surah Al Haj (22) Ayat 18
7. Surah Al Haj (22) Ayat 77 (Shafi)
8. Surah Al Farqan (25) Ayat 60
9. Surah Al Naml (27) Ayat 26
10. Surah As Sajdah (32) Ayat 15
11. Surah Sa'd (38) Ayat 24 (Hanafi)
12. Surah Hamim Sajdah (41) Ayat 38
13. Surah Al Najam (53) Ayat 62
14. Surah Inshiqaq (84) Ayat 21
15. Surah Al Alaq (96) Ayat 19


HOW TO PERFORM SAJDA-E-TILAWAT

Sajda Tilaawat will be performed like a normal Sajda. Wudhu is a condition.

There is no Sajdah Tilaawat when the Aayat of Sajdah is heard on tape.

Face the Qiblah and without raising the hands, recite Takbeer (Allaahu Akbar), going down in the Sajda position. In Sajda, recite Subhaana rabbiyal a'alaa at least 3 times. Thereafter, reciting the Takbeer if you wish to. If you wish, you may arise from the Sajda position into the Tashahhud position. The Sajdah Tilaawat is now complete. There is no need for Salaam.

From http://www.tariqjamil.org/Forum/quran/ayats-(verses)-requiring-sajda-e-tilawat/0/

Good day all! May peace be upon us all :D

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster