La Tahzan La Tahzan La tahzan

Life is a university for us. Let's strive for all-round success. Hidup ini tarbiyah untuk kita. Ayuh usaha untuk kejayaan dunia dan akhirat.

Where's the Spirit??  

Friday, August 10, 2007

I was on my way to school when I noticed that there are so few houses that put up the Singapore flag! Where's the spirit of patriotism I see on the TV screen last night? Don't tell me that only those who went to the parade and only a few others are Patriotic? I mean I'm not saying that by putting up the Singapore flag is a sign of patriotism of the people in the house. But it's just a practice that shows Singaporeans are celebrating her birthday with her.. At least it is to me..

I hear my school playing the NDP songs through the PA system for the past few weeks. I see some of my mosque friends doing the cross-stitch for the nation, paid by the mosque. I read the newspaper which featured this grandma who was proud to be part of the NDP 07 as one of those taking the pledge. I came across the article about this taxi driver who pasted so many stickers of the Singapore flag and put up a few more smaller flags on his taxi. I know a few people who went for the NDP Preview and the NDP and there are a few who are participants of the grand event too.

Many celebrated Singapore's birthday, but not all. Sad to say, some just couldn't care less.

Singapore has grown, in size (from 640+ to 690++), in education (so many people are getting the opportunity to obtain their doctorate that it's getting more common), in economy (GST rise anyone?), in arts (we have the Esplanade, the Victoria Theatre, the Arts House, NAFA and whatever else I've never come across before) and in a lot more other ways. Are the people growing WITH Singapore? Or are they just growing IN Singapore, with the hope to migrate when they have the money?

I dunno why I feel sad about this. Not many seems bothered by it. Why should I? Maybe this is what is going through the minds of Singaporeans...

Call yourself a Singaporean, show that you're one and be proud of it. Hmm, what if we make this next year's NDP slogan? Haha, whatever Marl...

Bussing off to do Biochem.. Dang, I've got school...

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster